Today’s topic is “6 pieces of advice that you think are obvious, but some people just need to hear.” You can answer this with a list of 6 words, 6 phrases, 6 sentences, 6 paragraphs, 6 photos, 6 videos, etc . . .
1. Kids need rules and boundaries. If you’re a very young parent, you’re not there to be their friend. If you’re an older parent, you need to suck it up and discipline your out of control child. If you’re too tired or too immature, then maybe you shouldn’t have kids. I’ve seen way too much of both lately.
2. Call when you’re running late. Stuff happens, but it’s the right thing to do.
3. Listen to what other people are saying, and don’t hear only what you want to push your own agenda. It’s highly annoying. The same goes for reading. Pay attention to the details. When I say I want a leather sleeper sofa, don’t try to sell me a daybed because you see commission dollar signs.
4. If you have an abundance, share with those who do not. This does not apply to that zucchini that went out of control in your garden or children.
5. Keep your word. Do what you say you’re going to do. People are counting on you, and trust is a hard thing to earn back once it’s lost.
6. Be responsible for your pets. This is to my neighbors who let their cats wander, and dogs poop all over and don’t clean it up. If I wanted to step in dog poop, I’d get one. If I wanted to have an allergic reaction when I sit on my patio furniture, I’d get my own cat and let it rub all over the cushions.
Sadly I could probably come up with about 10-20 things if you include all the fashion faux pas I see walking around now that the weather’s warm. I am going to add just one more though.
7. Pull up your pants! No one wants to see your thong, crack, boxers, any of it. You look ridiculous no matter what age you are. When I see a butt crack hanging out I have an overwhelming urge to spackle it.
*For more Small Talk Six fun visit MomDot.com*