Today’s Small Talk Six is “6 ways you are like or unlike your mother.” Oh man this is a tough one. I’m not sure there are any ways I’m like my mother. Even the mere thought of my mother dredges up bad memories and some anxiety. Can you say Mommy Dearest, but in a different way that satin hangers?
I’ll start with ways I am NOT like my mother. Those are easiest.
1. I don’t flit from man to man to get someone to pay my bills for me.
2. I haven’t cheated on my husband.
3. I don’t do recreational drugs.
4. I’m responsible for my children.
5. I’m not a victim of spousal abuse
6. I wasn’t a teen mom
OK, so coming up with 6 ways I’m not like my mother was way easy. Maybe a little too easy. And just to clarify since print doesn’t convey tone, I have nothing against those of you who happen to be teen moms. The difference with my mom is she made no bones about telling me how she didn’t want to be pregnant and she didn’t want to have a baby the whole time I was growing up.