I’ve only been to the ocean twice in my life. Once during a ill fated trip to the Outer Banks with my mom and stepdad when I was about 8 years old, and then again for my honeymoon. I did however grow up on Lake Erie. I spent almost every day at the beaches there as a kid thanks to my sun worshipping mother. But this list is about the ocean, so here it goes:
1. Jellyfish. I won’t go in the water at the ocean because I’m afraid I’ll get stung by a jellyfish. I’ve gotten a tattoo, had my tonsils out as an adult, and given birth to 2 children, and yet I’m afraid of a jellyfish. My husband finds this wildly hilarious.
2. I love the sand. I still love to build sandcastles, and I don’t care who knows it.
3. I love the smells of the beach. The water, sunscreen, sand, all of it. There’s just something in the air that relaxes me.
4. I hate that the sand creeps into ALL bodily crevices. HOW does that happen? I can do nothing more than lay on a towel all day and still get a butt crack full of sand. It’s one of the world’s great mysteries.
5. I’m not a fan of all the gear you need to take to the beach with kids. Beach going was so much simpler without them. Just a towel, a cooler, a radio, and some sunscreen was all I needed.
6. The boardwalk. One thing I really liked about Ocean City on our honeymoon was the boardwalk. It was fun to go grab lunch on an outdoor patio and people watch.