-Taste of Home is donating 10 cents (up to $100,000) per click on their new Flag Cake recipe to the USO. The money will be used for military members to call home. Some interesting points:
- 10 cents equals 2 minutes of talk time.
- $1 equals 20 minutes of talk time.
- Promotion ends July 4, 2011
-AXE is donating $50,000 to The Wounded Warriors Project. Like AXE’s Facebook page to show your support, and make a donation if you’re so inclined. While you’re there, check out AXE’s new Buzzed Look Cream with SPF 15. Protect those bald heads this summer.
-A new study shows that Transcendental Meditation can lower PTSD symptoms by up to 50 percent. Some Transcendental Meditation points:
- The Transcendental Meditation technique is an effortless technique practiced 10-20 minutes twice a day sitting comfortably with the eyes closed.
- TM is not a religion or philosophy and involves no new beliefs or change in lifestyle.
- Over 350 peer-reviewed research studies on the TM technique confirm a range of benefits for mind, body and behavior.
- Several studies have compared the effects of different meditation practices and found that Transcendental Meditation provides deeper relaxation and is more effective at reducing anxiety, depression and hypertension than other forms of meditation and relaxation. In addition, no other meditation practice shows the widespread coherence throughout all areas of the brain that is seen with Transcendental Meditation.
- The Transcendental Meditation technique is taught in the United States by a non-profit, educational organization.
- More information can be obtained by calling 888-LEARN-TM or visiting, www.tm.org, www.AskTheDoctors.com, or David Lynch Foundation, which offers courses for the Military through it’s Operation Warrior Wellness program.
-Chevy Racing was once again able to take veterans around the track in GM vehicles before the Indianapolis 500. Visit the Faces of GM article to see the video of the parade lap and words from the CEO of GM among others. I watched the video, and I didn’t notice anyone sitting during the lap. As a military spouse, that outpouring of support from the crowd is beyond words. I can’t imagine how the military members feel since they’re the ones out there doing the job. I’m just in a support role here at home.
-MOAA has partnered with Cell Phones for Soldiers to help bridge the gap in communication for deployed troops.
MOAA has set a goal of providing one million minutes of free talk time to troops this year. To reach this goal, MOAA members will need to collect at least 16,667 cellular devices nationwide. The 413 chapters that make up the MOAA chapter system are collecting phones for this cause through January 2012, and the state council and individual chapter that collects the most devices will be honored at the MOAA Council Presidents Seminar in Washington D.C. in April 2012.
Those interested in supporting this cell phone mission of MOAA should visit www.moaa.org/cellsforsoldiers or contact your nearest MOAA chapter. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information about Cell Phones for Soldiers please visit www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com.
Also look around post if you live on or near one. I know periodically, ours has had collection points set out for Cell Phones for Soldiers.