I’ve been in a food rut. Making a lot of the same types of meals night after night – meat and potatoes or low fat soup. I did try to change up my mashed potatoes by adding parsnips, but even that’s gotten old hat. So off to search Google for something new. Something that would be easy. Something that I could ideally make in one pot.
I know it’s Winter, and a lot of people rely on a crockpot this time of year. My kitchen is so small I barely have room for our food and dishes, let alone extra appliances. I do have my Cuisinart Multi Cooker that I keep on top of the freezer downstairs. It doesn’t take up too much room when it’s running, because outlets are also a commodity in this old house.
I was searching chicken and rice recipes. Do you know how many of them require a can of condensed soup? A lot. I didn’t want to use soup. Not only did I not have any, but that’s a whole lot of sodium and other additives we just don’t need. I prefer to be more in control of my food. Then I had a brainstorm. I could do Spanish rice and chicken, and instead of pan searing the chicken, just cut it into pieces and do it up in the multi cooker and then add the rice.
Here’s the resulting recipe:
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
Mexican seasoning (or season with cumin, chili powder, pepper to taste if you don’t have a premade seasoning)
2T olive oil
1T garlic powder
2T tomato sauce
3T parsley (2T while cooking, 1T for end)
2 servings medium or long grain white rice
1. Pre-heat multi cooker. Add oil.
2. Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces. Season with Mexican seasoning.
3. Brown chicken on quick cook setting.
4. Chop and add onion until translucent.
5. Add rice for 2 servings and brown for a couple minutes.
6. Add flour and stir thoroughly.
7. Add tomato sauce. (You can also use some tomato paste instead of flour and sauce, but I was out)
8. Add stock up to the white rice level 4.
9. Add 2T parsley and garlic powder.
10. Cook on white rice setting.
11. When done, plate, and sprinkle a bit of parsley and shredded cheddar cheese on top and eat.